|SR-71 nose gear|
The Blackbird's distinctive intake spikes were absolutely essential for the aircraft's performance, as at operational speeds the inlets produced over half of the total thrust.
Walk-Around #32: SR-71 Blackbird reviewA great reference for modeling all three versions of the Blackbird family - the A-12 photo-recon aircraft for the CIA, the Air Force's YF-12A prototype interceptor, and the definitive SR-71.
- A shot of the first A-12 flight - it really wasn't a "Blackbird" at this point, as it flew in natural metal.
- Rear view of the M-21 mothership with a GTD-21 drone mounted.
- A very nice color shot of the A-12B trainer in natural metal with black leading edges.
- Details of upper & lower Q-bays.
- color shots of M-21/D-21 in flight.
- A-12 3-view & specifications.
- A-12 landing gear details.
- A-12 / YF-12 / SR-71A / SR-71 "big Tail" cockpit photos.
- SR-1/F-1 ejection seat.
- YF-12A 3-view & specifications.
- ASG-18 radar & YB-58 testbed.
- SR-71 3-view & specifications.
- J58 engine details, including some good color shots.
- 10 color profiles.
YF-12 Blackbird Bibliography:
Magazine Articles and Photos:
"USAF Stresses YF-12A Interceptor Role" Aviation Week & Space Technology October 5, 1964 p.16-17 2 photos
"Lockheed YF-12A Flight Demonstration Reveals Design Details" Aviation Week & Space Technology October 12, 1964 p.30-33 15 photos
Photo: "USAF/Lockheed YF-12A" Aviation Week & Space Technology October 19, 1964 front cover
"Seven Tentative Flight Records Set by USAF/Lockheed YF-12As" AW&ST May 10, 1965 p.33
Photo: "Forward Delta of YF-12A Altered" AW&ST May 17, 1965 p.67
Photo: "Lockheed YF-12A Details Shown" AW&ST June 28, 1965 p.70
"Seven Tentative Flight Records Set by USAF/Lockheed YF-12As" Aviation Week & Space Technology May 10, 1965 p.33
Photo: "YF-12 flies NASA research mission with F-104 chase aircraft" AW&ST August 3, 1970 front cover
Donald E. Fink "NASA YF-12A Proves Valuable Testbed" AW&ST August 13, 1973 p.44-46
"YF-12s in Supersonic Research Program" AW&ST August 20, 1973 p.17
Secret Aircraft and Black Projects